I’m going to just make the confession up front here. You guys all know that Fly Lady person? You know that term she uses for those who like to organize and drive her little fly-babies nuts?
I am one of them.
That’s right. I’m Born Organized.
I like to organize things. There’s this burst of pleasure that runs through me from the tips of my toes all the way up my body when I’ve organized something. I ❤ it. It’s the best.
Unfortunately I live with people who could make a slobby pig sty look clean. Oh the horror! It’s a darn good thing I love these people because otherwise I think I’d have to cry as they mess up my nice neatly organized things!
Last month in Relief Society we talked about organization. Yay!
No, I did not teach it. Me, the only person who dropped off of fly-lady because I thought the woman was lazy and slow in her organizing emails? Nope. OK, so I did talk a little about photos and digital organization, but that’s it!
Well, we were challenged to organize something this month. Ok! I’d actually stumbled across this great new idea to organize my CD’s and DVDs. I also needed to reorganize my books from when I painted last year.
When we moved into this house, we knew there was a lot of work needed in order for it to fit our needs. Unfortunately we haven’t had any money to do all those things. This is my 12th home in 15 years so I’m pretty used to unpacking and having no boxes within the first week in a new home. To still have a few boxes that I’m constantly digging through makes me crazy.
Such is my life.
One of the areas I still need to work on figuring out is the master bathroom. Two adult people have a lot of things to go in there and when we moved in there were not even towel rods or a mirror. You can but only imagine the mess under the sink.
So what have I done while being snowed in from two back to back snowstorms?
1. I organized all my CDs into two boxes and CD sleeves allowing me to completely save a TON of space! Yay! CD books went into the sleeves, the cases went buh bye!
2. I organized all our video games into DVD sleeves. Two game discs per sleeve. I put the jacket from the case also in the sleeve. Some of those books were a little bulky, so I’m working on an idea for them, but they are saved. A bazillion of game cases? Buh bye! MEGA room saved because those bad boys come in DVD cases, and not the slims!
3. About a quarter of my DVDs done! I did the same thing as above with my game discs. In the spring I will get the jacket stuff. I’m taking them from heavy and unwieldy DVD wallets I’d gotten when trying to sell our last house we owned. (That was house # 10) I have the cases taking up several rubbermade totes in our shed. Given the snow from back to back snowstorms and more in the forecast… I’m more than happy to wait until spring.
4. The bathroom – Oh man, I’m wondering if I really helped. OK, I did really help, but it needs more help. Our bathroom is so peculiar. It’s long and skinny but isn’t really making good use of the space. So we have this long vanity, but only one sink, two tiny drawers on each side of the sink basin and then the whole length of the vanity is one open cabinet. No shelves, drawers, nothing. With personal items, colognes, shower gels, lotions, perfumes, razors, meds, first aid stuff, hair stuff… oh the insanity! I got one shelf to boost things up and a bin to put on it to hold my lotions and my perfumes. Under it I slid hygiene and hair dyes and whatnot. It is much better, but it really still needs work. I just am not sure what to do to make it better. Looking for ideas!
5. I’ve organized my bookshelves. Yup. All with my "By Size, alphabetize" rules along with own personal library system. Yay!
Can you tell I’m bored senseless? Oh yeah!
What am I going to do if we get more snow this week? Don’t ask. It might not be pretty!
Just thought I’d share some of my organizing I’d done. Mostly because I thought you’d enjoy it plus blogging it gave me something to do for another 15 minutes. It’s not even 3 PM on Sunday and I am still bored. Any ideas?
Maybe it’s time to go try to reorganize the games. They gave us an idea to throw out the boxes and store the boards in something and the bits in baggies. I’m thinking that’s a great idea if you have only a couple of games. I own probably 50-75 games and while that might save a boatload of space, I’m not sure that it wouldn’t be uber frustrating to find your stuff to play a game. But the games do need something to make them easier to access to play and then put away. Ideas?